[MPlayer-users] alternatives to -streamdump

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Mon Feb 18 01:50:18 CET 2008

RC wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 15:13:34 -0500
> Rashkae <rashkae at tigershaunt.com> wrote:
>
>> How can you include the subtitle streams?
>
> -dumpstream doesn't exactly preserve the subtitles anyways.  You also
> need to copy the IFO, and tell MPlayer to look for it.  You might be
> better off just downloading 3rd party text subs (eg. srt).

It doesn't preserve the color information and language info, but that's
generally not a problem.  Mplayer and xine still plays most of them just
fine, and VLC covers the slack if palette detection goes wonky.

> You can use some other DVD ripping program like vobcopy, which does the
> job better, all-around.

vobcopy is worse than useless if you have a multi-angle dvd (or did they
fix that?)  Also problems with some exotic copy protection schemes.
Mplayer's dumpstream follows a single camera angle.

> You can use mencoder to encode the video and audio to a vob, as well as
> dumping the subs, and use some other program to add the subs back into
> the new vob.

How I've tried, how I've tried.  the documentation isn't brimming with
examples of this kind of process.  I would love to be able to encode
video, audio and sub stream into a vob that can be burned to a DVD, if
anyone is feeling generous :)