[MPlayer-users] Mencoder without video

Pedro A ARANDA paaguti at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 19 08:53:05 CET 2008

Hi folks,

this is something I have been thinking for some time:
1) MPlayer is wonderful for almost any multimedia task
2) It excels when it comes to playing Internet radio stations on my Linux PC
3) MEncoder does a wonderful job when transcoding audio+video streams

but

MEncoder doesn't handle audio-only streams and thus can't be used
to save Internet radio programs. Instead of this, I have to use some
complicated scripts and lots of temporary storage on my hard disk.

The question is:

Would it take too much to include the possibility of using MEncoder
to record Internet radio streams?

I'm dreaming with a command like

mencoder -o multikulti.mp3 -ovc null -oac mp3lame -lameopts aq=2:vbr=4 \
 -playlist="http://www.multikulti.de/_/mukulive.ram"

In moments of crazyness , I'd even dare to dream with the extreme luxury
of an option à la -duration  to limit the amount of time mencoder
would be recording

Just my .0002€, /PA