[MPlayer-users] Xvid and Twolame encoding: Comments?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Tue Feb 19 18:01:27 CET 2008

Hi!

andrew <andrew.david.45 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I have been working on xvid and twolame encoding and I would
> appreciate any comments on the work, about 6 paragraphs at this
> location:
>
> http://www.andrews-corner.org/matrix.html#xvid
>
> Only if someone has time. I use current svn mplayer / mencoder, xvid
> 1.1.3 and twolame 0.3.12.

Trying to explain a few things:
MPEG-4 is (amongst others) a collection of audio and video compression methods.
MPEG-4 ASP and MPEG4-AVC (aka H264) are two video compression methods that you
compare in your article.
Xvid, DivX and FFmpeg FMP4 are three implementations of MPEG-4 ASP, x264 is an
implementation of MPEG-4 AVC. DivX is the only non open-source implementation.
You did NOT test DivX (it's not possible with latest svn, there once was a patch
in the mailing list), with mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 you tested
FFmpegs implementation of MPEG-4 ASP.

Carl Eugen