[MPlayer-users] Some issues in FLV encoding

Alexander Bokovikov openworld at uralweb.ru
Sun Feb 24 18:46:37 CET 2008

Hi, All,

As I've found, MEncoder can't encode FLV with audio in synch. I get a good
video if I use "-noaudio" option while encoding, but I get a video, running
at higher rate with normal audiotrack if I use audio encoding in parallel
with the video encoding. The source file is MOV, produced on Mac. Other
formats also gave several problems if I tried to encode audio + video at one
pass. Maybe I'm doing something incorrectly? I used several versions upto
February SVN's with more or less the same result.

Then I've tried to encode FLV in three passes:

1. mute video FLV production
2. MP3 audio production
3. MP3 embedding into FLV, containing video.

Unfortunately I can use MEncoder at pass 1 only, because I don't know, how
to create audio-only files like MP3 using it. Also I don't know if it is
possible to add MP3 track into FLV, using MEncoder. Therefore now I use
other tools for steps 2 and 3. Step 2 now requires Windows codecs usage,
what limits this solution. For example MOV files are not processed if
QuickTime is not installed.

Does anybody know how to create audio-only file with MEncoder? I've tried to
use "-vcodec frameno" option, but it produces wrong (incomplete) audiotrack,
because it processes source file at video framerate, which is detected
incorrectly. Therefore video reaches its end, while audio is yet not
finished, but MEncoder closes both streams as soon as video reaches its end.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank in advance.