[MPlayer-users] save into divx?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Feb 26 10:41:03 CET 2008

Hello,
On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 10:02:55AM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> >		  and what other settings?
>
> If you intend to burn the resulting transcoded video on a DVD-RW, watch it,
> and then discard it, there is not much point in spending a lot of time
> fine-tuning the encoding.

This is the case for me, and thus I use the following commandline:
mencoder -ffourcc DX50 -ovc lavc -lavcopts autoaspect:vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=0:turbo:vqscale=2:threads=2 -oac mp3lame -lameopts preset=standard

For subtitles you will need -vf expand=osd=1 in addition.
I have been told, that some players will not be able to handle the
high-bitrate files this results in, but I have had not problems so far.
(though my player can handle at most 768x576 resolution video anyway, if
your player has similar restrictions, -vf scale=... may be necessary for
some files as well).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger