[MPlayer-users] MPlayer works great with the latest OpenSuse kernel update

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Feb 28 17:55:42 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 12:18:49PM -0800, Nan Null wrote:
> One thing I notice that while the video is moving, it's not very sharp.
> However, a moment a scene is relatively still, the image suddenly is sharper.
> I feel there is an enhancement routine applied to slow/still image.

No, certainly not. Whoever encoded it might have used a temporal
denoiser or the codec behaves like this or it is even caused by your
display (esp. for LCDs that is quite likely) or even your eyes ;-).

>  I wonder if this can be done on moving video.

Well, if it is not caused by your display, the usual filters like -vf
fspp or -vf unsharp or others might improve quality. You will have to
try yourself, it depends on the video anyway.