[MPlayer-users] A 1:1 rendition, please

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Thu Jan 3 14:50:41 CET 2008

> His point is that specifying  -monitoraspect 16:9 is a better solution to
> your problem than forcing the aspect to 1:1 because it will always work
> regardless of what file you're trying to play.

But it doesn't - it doesn't seem to recognise the aspect ratio flags in
either flat or widescreen 720x576 PAL AVIs, even though windows media player
does.

I don't mean to be difficult but people do keep telling me that a certain
solution is best based on some rather wild assumptions. I tend to use
mplayer only for rough previews (as the file association on AVIs, for
instance) and I've reached  the point where I'd much rather just have it
render square pixels, at least so I can technically QC the footage, rather
than constantly have to make manual changes for every file I play. If
mplayer rescales the material I then don't know if the softness is a focus
problem, a codec problem, or just the cheap rescaling algorithm it uses.

Phil