[MPlayer-users] A 1:1 rendition, please

ajaxas ajaxas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 17:20:10 CET 2008

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 15:37:04 -0000
"Phil Rhodes" <phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com> wrote:

> > and it's not clear yet whether his older version was still one that
> > defaulted to 4:3 monitor aspect
>
> I think we can assume it is.
>
> > Hmm, but since 16:9 seemed to work for
> > him, I suspect OP has a very strange monitor size/resolution combo
> > going..   I apologize if this was asked, but what kind of screen is
> > being used and at what resolution?
>
> Nothing special at all - a Dell 2405FPW, which is a very standard 24"
> widescreen with a native resolution of 1920x1200, at which I am driving it.
> The monitor aspect is therefore 16:10.
>
> My main concern is with the possibility of small rounding errors causing the
> video to become minutely scaled, causing a loss of resolution.

Hmmm. Recently I switched from 17" CRT 1024x768 to 19" 1280x1024 monitor, hence
my monitor aspect changed from 1.33 to 1.25. Mplayer handled this change without
any problems: when playing 4:3 movies I only get black stripes on the top and
bottom of the screen, as it should be. Neither I see any distortions, nor I had
to change anything in my mplayer configuration file.

Trying to answer to the original question, wouldn't -aspect option be
sufficient here?

mplayer -aspect 16:10 the_file.avi

If this doesn't help, I'd ask the OP to provide us with the mplayer output
(without -monitoraspect or whatever else options used).

--
ajaxas <ajaxas at gmail.com>