[MPlayer-users] A 1:1 rendition, please

ajaxas ajaxas at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 07:37:50 CET 2008

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 07:10:41 +0200
Jan Knutar <jknutar at nic.fi> wrote:

> > Hmmm. Recently I switched from 17" CRT 1024x768 to 19" 1280x1024
> > monitor, hence my monitor aspect changed from 1.33 to 1.25.
>
> Your monitor aspect remained the same, surely? Measure the physical
> dimensions of the viewable area on your monitor, the proportion between
> horizontal and vertical is still 4:3, right?

Nope, it was the monitor aspect that changed, of course. Think yourself: if only
my display resolution changed from 1.33 to 1.25, and monitor's physical aspect
stayed 1.33, wouldn't I have picture distortions then?

In case my new monitor physical aspect was 1.33, I would have had 1280x960 as
original resolution, while mine is 1280x1024.

Anyway, it's 5:4, in other words - 1.25.

> > Trying to answer to the original question, wouldn't -aspect option be
> > sufficient here?
> >
> > mplayer -aspect 16:10 the_file.avi
>
> Not exactly.
>
> They're slightly different: