[MPlayer-users] Audio recording problem from VCR

Martin Emrich emme at emmes-world.de
Tue Jan 8 19:43:09 CET 2008

Hi!

I try to record video (and audio) from some old VHS tapes using the
following hardware:

- Old VCR, connected via Composite and stereo RCA
- Elsa Erazor III ViVo card with rivatv (dma=1)
- Onboard AC97 sound card (ALi, with snd_intel8x0)
- Athlon 64 3700+, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD (dma enabled)

But mencoder ignores the audio track (the resulting file does not
contain an audio track, and the audio bitrate indicator stays on 0 all
the time).

This is my commandline:

mencoder -tv
driver=v4l:norm=PAL:input=0:outfmt=UYVY:width=704:height=576:audiorate=32000:amode=1:adevice=/dev/dsp0
tv:///0 -o test.avi -oac pcm -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=ffvhuff

I also tried "audiorate=44100" and 48000, "amode=0", "adevice=hw.0", no
"adevice" alltogether, and with and without "alsa", in no case mencoder
even tries to open the audio device or to save an audio track. The video
 recording works great, without drops or noticeable jitter.

Recording audio alone with "arecord" works fine, too.

All of that changes when I add "forceaudio" to the -tv option. Now audio
is recorded fine, but I get many "video buffer full - dropping frame"
messages, and the framerate drops to ca. 6-8fps. CPU usage of mencoder
is only at ca. 11%.

I tried rc2 as well as yesterdays subversion. Any hints?

Thanks

Martin