[MPlayer-users] Mac OS X Audio 5.1 Channel Output Problems

galenz at zinkconsulting.com galenz at zinkconsulting.com
Tue Jan 15 14:10:32 CET 2008

I seem to be unable to get 5.1 audio output working with mplayer. All
I get is 2 channel audio with mplayer. I am using analog 5.1 out
hardware, properly configured in Audio MIDI setup, and 5.1 is working
perfectly with VLC, QuickTime, etc.

Here's the audio-related messages when playing a file I was recently
testing:

[mkv] Track ID 2: audio (A_DTS) "English DTS 5.1 (1.5mbps)", -aid 0, -
alang eng

Opening audio decoder: [libdca] DTS decoding with libdca
Stream with high frequencies VQ coding
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 1536.0 kbit/100.00% (ratio: 192000-
 >192000)
Selected audio codec: [dts] afm: libdca (DTS-libdca)

I even recently recompiled mplayer with libdca, thinking that perhaps
that would have some effect. It did not.

How can I get 5.1 audio working? My video / audio files are not
corrupted and play great in other players. But mplayer only gives me 2
channels.

Ideas?

-Galen