[MPlayer-users] Stupid "programmer" tricks

john q public public at pitchblende.org
Wed Jan 16 07:10:18 CET 2008

A while back (12-20-07) I tried to build rc2. As a LFS user I was bit
disturbed by the
"your distro is old" type replies to failed builds. It so happens my
"distro" isn't a plug
and play affair. Maybe it should be as I waste a lot of time but there
you have it.
That said it so happens that when I:

1. Installed the lastest giflib
visited http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/libc/?cvsroot=glibc
and then
   2. Replaced /usr/include/netinet/in.h with rev 1.24
   3. Replaced /usr/include/arpa/inet.h with rev 1.14 (this is using
glib 2.0)

For whatever reason I used GCC 4.2.2 to compile this Frankenstein horror.

It all compiled very nicely. Do I think this was a sensible thing to do?
No.
Will I be happy if I have a functional MPlayer? Yes.
Clearly its time to leave the stone age and rebuild my system but its
not a five minute
job. Meanwhile I'm proud of my efforts to hang on to my beloved but all
too old LFS
system.