[MPlayer-users] avi2mp4.sh: converts AVIs for iPod Video's

Sebastian Kemper sebastian_ml at gmx.net
Wed Jan 16 13:40:12 CET 2008

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 12:28:36AM +0100, Paul TT wrote:
> i'm trying it out now, i'll let you know
> in the meantime thanx

Hi Paul,

thanks, I appreciate it!

In the mean time here's what I think should be on the Todo list:

- add notes about what the script can do and can't do. For instance it
  can't handle frame rate conversion, not even from 29.970 fps to 23.976
  fps (although that'd be easy to implement). Also it cannot select
  tracks. I just don't see the point as all the files I have have only
  one audio track. Also the script can't handle variable frame rate
  videos. Again I don't see the point because I never have these kinds
  of files.
- add note about import onto your iPod. I use amarok for that and it
  works fine. But once the users wants to use iTunes it probably won't
  work out of the box, although I can't tell for sure as I haven't
  tried it. What one could try is to run MP4Box -ipod <file.mp4> on the
  resulting MP4 file. This could totally be done from within the script
  but the way I see it why mess with a file that works with everything
  else but iTunes? I mean running MP4Box -ipod ... is an easy enough
  command so the user can issue it by himself if he wants/needs to.
- think about '-noskip -mc 0'. These switches are currently preset. Is
  this a good idea? Probably not but I don't know. Again, your input
  would be appreciated.

Regards
Sebastian