[MPlayer-users] Mac OS X Audio 5.1 Channel Output Problems

galenz at zinkconsulting.com galenz at zinkconsulting.com
Thu Jan 17 10:45:40 CET 2008

Right, I see the mplayer downconverts to 2.0 audio by default. You
have to manually specify 6 channel audio to have it not downconvert.

However, this is extremely un-Mac like and un-intuitive, given the
available data. The Apple audio API automatically detects the number
of channels physically available. The macosx audio out module should
pass this value along to mplayer and set the number of channels
accordingly.

This is what I mean about mplayer not detecting the multple channels.
Various other applications - such as QuickTime Player and VLC - rely
upon detecting available channels in this manner and make audio
conversion/output settings accordingly.

-Galen