[MPlayer-users] mplayer vs. gmplayer config files

Krzysztof Duchnowski amidk75 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 19:23:37 CET 2008

Craig Hagerman pisze:

> I am using the latest version of mplayer available with Ubuntu gutsy (7.10).
> I normally use mplayer (as gmplayer) to watch .avi and other video files,
> but Mplayer had trouble playing DVDs..

> If I opened a DVD from gmplayer I got a bunch of error messages - that it
> the screen seems to 'stutter' as many error messages appear one after the
> other, saying "frame sync error". However, oddly enough if I start the DVD
> from the commandline with mplayer (not gmplayer) it opens and plays just
> fine. I looked at the config files and figured that the
> /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf looked similar to /home/user/.mplayer/gui.conf.  I
> figured maybe the latter file was at fault, so renamed it and made a new
> soft link to the mplayer.conf file. Now it seems to work properly.

> I am just wondering how mplayer SHOULD be set up. Why would there be
> different but equivalent config files for mplayer and gmplayer? Is my quick
> hack the best way to set up mplayer?

Hi.
For some reason after 1.0rc1 devs added this GUI error window which
develops more errors than display's at first. Saddly it not have any
configuration option to disable "verbose" for just gmplayer. It need to
be done globally (for both mplayer and gmplayer).
Edit "/home/user/.mplayer/config" file and add "really-quiet=yes"
options at the end of file.

But after that to see anything in console after mplayer running you must
invoke it with four "-v" options like "mplayer -v -v -v -v movie.avi" -
without it you'll don't see any informations at all.

--
Krzysztof 'DK75' Duchnowski
GetFirefox - http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/