[MPlayer-users] Should libdvdnav require/include libdvdcss?

taipan forums.taipan67 at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 22 20:22:05 CET 2008

My first post - hi everyone, hope i don't make too many etiquette
mistakes. ;)

I'm trying to build mplayer-1.0_rc2 with dvdnav capabilities on my
Gentoo-box...

Kernel - 2.6.23-(gentoo-r3)
Glibc - 2.6.1
GCC - 4.2.2
Binutils - 2.18

...by hacking the Portage ebuild-scripts so as to complete the build
within my package-management system.

As per http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/tech/dvdnav-howto.txt i've built
libdvdnav-4.1.1 (another hack required to avoid file-collisions with
older libdvdread if present), & configured an mplayer-ebuild
(1.0_rc2_p24929-r1) to '--disable-dvdread-internal' if dvdnav is
detected, but this also disables libdvdcss-internal :-

Checking for dvdread ... yes (external)
Checking for internal libdvdcss ... no
Checking for DVD support (libdvdnav) ... yes
Enabled optional drivers:
    Input: ... dvdnav ... dvdread(external) ...
Disabled optional drivers:
    Input: ... libdvdcss(internal) ...

Building _with_ libdvdnav but _without_ '--disable-dvdread-internal'
gets the same results (auto-detected), while _NO_ libdvdnav gets (of
course) :-

Checking for dvdread ... yes (internal)
Checking for internal libdvdcss ... yes
Checking for DVD support (libdvdnav) ... no
Enabled optional drivers:
    Input: ... libdvdcss(internal) dvdread(internal) ...
Disabled optional drivers:
    Input: ... dvdnav ...

So can dvdnav read css-encrypted DVD's _without_ assistance, or should
it require either an included or external version of libdvdcss? If
external, would videolan's version-1.2.9 be adequate (last updated July
'05), or could mplayer's be split out as it's own entity (subject to
licensing issues...)?

Thanks in advance, taipan