[MPlayer-users] Mencoder fails: Cannot initialize video driver

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 23 04:39:24 CET 2008

I apologise if this has been covered before, but I've searched high and low on google for a clear answer but nothing seems to help.

I am trying to transcode some video to x264 format, but that and Xvid I just cannot get to work no matter what I do. I was using AcidRip but because of changes to the way the x264 codec is used it fails. I'm not sure if the remainder of the problem is just my mc or a bug- but I suspect it might be. Given that I'm a complete newbie at mplayer and mencoder I don't feel qualified enough to make that judgement call.

AcidRip used to work, and the slight command changes to x264 don't warrant the fact that I can't get it to work manually using mencoder directly.

So a few questions so I can gain a better understanding of mencoder would be very welcome, and some help with the error if possible.

1. When it mentions the video_out device what exactly is it referring to? I tried setting the -vo to xv or x11 but mencoder say that it can't accept those args.

2. The colorspace it refers to - how is that determined? In the output it says it drops back to -vf scale. I have tried to work out how to change this, but nothing seems to clear on it. What would scale and color have to do with each other?

I've attached my output with names removed to protect the innocent. Any help is much appreciated as I would like to be able to use this tool to its capacity- I want to setup a pvr solution and this seems to be the best software for my needs (if I could only get a handle on it).

Cheers guys- be gentle.... :)

Your Future Starts Here. Dream it? Then be it! Find it at www.seek.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Ask%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_Future&_m=EXT