[MPlayer-users] Mencoder fails: Cannot initialize video driver

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 24 05:45:45 CET 2008

> Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 22:51:54 -0500
> To: mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu
> From: dalias at aerifal.cx
> Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] Mencoder fails: Cannot initialize video driver
>
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 03:19:36AM +0000, Da Rock wrote:
>> Thanks for the very concise answer on that. So I frames are key
>> frames and the keyint is like (forgive the example) the frames used
>> for tweening in flash.
>
> Yes.
>
>> What are the B frames if I can press you further? Are they the
>> interval frames?
>
> B frames are bidirectionally-predicted frames, that is, they're
> encoded as difference from both past and future frames.
>
>> How much effect on quality does changing this variable make? Is the
>> quality of the video improved or only the seeking?
>
> At a fixed bitrate, the quality will be lowered by using a smaller
> keyint, since more bits will be spent on encoding the I-frames "from
> scratch" which does not contribute to quality, only seekability.
>
> On the other hand, if you use any sort of "fixed quality" type
> encoding, lower keyint will not affect quality; it will just make your
> file come out larger.
>
> Rich

Thanks very much for that. That really cleared it up for me, all the B frames, I frames and encoding qualities were really confusing me.

So is the colorspace encoded as a part of the frames? Is it the same colorspace as the monitor would be using? Or is it another iec standard?

Now if you can help me out on a technical note, if I'm encoding what would the video out driver be?

What the problem I have looks like to me is mencoder looks at the input file, tries to determine the colorspace, fails using the correct codec and tries the video filter and fails there. Or is it the output file codec?

Then again I may be just confused...