[MPlayer-users] [BUG] Compile with ICC 10.1

Dmitry Leonenko dmitry.leonenko at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 14:55:48 CET 2008

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 03:07:35PM +0200, Dmitry Leonenko wrote:
>
>> Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

>>> You need a 10.1.011 at least, but you have to make a few changes to libavcodec:
>>> icc doesn't understand attribute_used, so you have to remove "static" from the
>>> declaration of those variables. Since that leads to name space conflicts, you
>>> will finally have to rename some of those variables.
>>>
>>> Carl Eugen
>>>
>>> PS: Note that this is not considered a bug, icc compilation probably won't be
>>> supported as long as they don't support attribute_used.
>>>

>> OK. Seems like it's really not a bug but looks like it's not compatible
>> with c99 standard. Isn't it?
>>

> The problems you reported is just some idiocy where someone decided to
> use the non-standard things like _inline instead of inline to support
> some compilers we do not care about (most likely Microsoft "C"
> compiler).
> Those I fixed in latest SVN.
> And the inline assembly of course is not C99 and that can not be
> changed. Neither can the workaround for the missing attribute_used that
> Intel suggests be used, because their register allocator is the too
> stupid to compile the assembly code at all, in addition to the speed hit
> it often means (because however stupid you image the compiler is, it is
> even more stupid in the really critical cases).
> So if you want to compile with icc you'll have to remove the "static" in
> front of all declarations that the compiler complains about during
> linking.
>
> Greetings,
> Reimar Döffinger

So you just want to say that there is no right way to make it working
except of using attribute_used or change all static declarations?
OK. I'll ask you in another way. Can you do something to make it
possible to compile with ICC? I want to make some performance tests and
decide if Intel's compiler is so stupid.
I've seen significant performance increase when using ICC compared to
gcc-4.2.2 in some programs.

P.S.  Can't you be more polite with mail list users? I simply asked you
if it is possible to do something it this situation.

Thank you.
Dmitry Leonenko