[MPlayer-users] rec for wnXP

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Jul 15 12:44:19 CEST 2008

Adam wrote:

> On Friday 11 July 2008 03:25 pm, Henry Garcia wrote:
>
>>> Can anyone recommend which pre-compiled package(s) I should look
>>> at first, for maximal MPlayer and MEncoder functionality.   Most
>>> important is VOB -> AVI transcode, then single frame grab, VOB
>>> dump audio to file.
>>>
>>> Am on Intel with Win XP .
>>
>> Pentium III, Pentium IV,
>>
>> Take a  look here. See what you like.
>> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/projects.html#windows
>
> I grabbed the one from the top of the list;
>
> MPlayer on win32  by  Gianluigi Tiesi
> http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php
> MPlayer-p4-svn-27081.7z
>
> There are no Win specific instructions with that package.
>
> When I unpack, I notice the codecs directory is empty.

This should not be directly relevant. That directory is exclusively for
the binary codecs (DLLs) which provide support for formats not yet
supported by open-source code.

> Although -vo help outputs a short list of things. See below.

I'm not entirely sure what this is supposed to have to do with the
codecs directory...?

> When I try to play a dvd, I get various failures. So have not been
> able to play one yet.  Depending on the contents of the conf file, it
> either plays the dvd intro poorly first, then stops. Or plays only
> audio and no video.
>
> Presently my conf file contains,
> quiet=yes
> msgcolor=yes
> dvd-device=e:
> cache=8192
> ao=win32      # which improved matters greatly
> vf=pp,eq,spp,scale
> # variations on vf= makes slight changes, but none plays.
>
> My Intel P4 machine has a twinhead Matrox Millenium G550 card,
> working at 1024x768 pixels. The one-page manual says that that should
> work with -vo mga_vid

Which manual? The one for the card?

TTBOMK, mga_vid is a Linux kernel driver module, and therefore will not
and cannot work on Windows. In any case, mga_vid is not enabled in the
build you have.

> So must I install a Win version of that codec in codecs ?

mga_vid is a video-output method, not a codec. I'm fairly sure there is
no Windows version of it. Regardless, to enable a new video-output
method (i.e. one not listed in '-vo help') you have to recompile.

> I unpacked the file win32codecs-20040703.tar.bz2  into codecs, but
> perhaps mga_vid is in the win-essential-codecs pack ?

Nope - as before, it's a VO method, not a codec.

Try '-vo directx'.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.