[MPlayer-users] rec for wnXP

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Jul 15 22:08:05 CEST 2008

Adam wrote:

> On Tuesday 15 July 2008 10:44 pm, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Adam wrote:

>>> I unpacked the file win32codecs-20040703.tar.bz2  into codecs,
>>> but perhaps mga_vid is in the win-essential-codecs pack ?
>>
>> Nope - as before, it's a VO method, not a codec.
>>
>> Try '-vo directx'.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Well, I find   -vo directx   works fine for VOB files on the
> hard-drive.
>
> One commercial dvd disk still doesn't play past its rough intro at
> the start. Seems I was stuck trying that problem disk first. Here's
> what it said;

<snip>

> So I'll rip that problem disk to the hd to play. Other commercial
> disks so far seem to play fine !

My best guess offhand would be that that disk was intentionally created
with bad data in the middle, to foil non-approved players. IIRC,
sometimes playing with "dvdnav://" instead of "dvd://" can behave enough
like the approved type of player to avoid the problem, but I make no
guarantees; I don't often play commercial DVDs (and I even more rarely
need to use MPlayer under Windows).

> One question I had re this Win version MPlayer, was how to include
> spaces in path-names.  I've just found that surrounding them with
> quotes works;
>
> mplayer -vo directx C:/aadir/VTS_05_3.VOB
> mplayer -vo directx "C:/more dvd files"/VTS_05_3.VOB

This is because the quotes prevent the shell (in this case probably
cmd.exe, in most *nix cases bash or similar) from treating the space as
a break between arguments. The same can happen with any command-line
program, and the same solution applies; it's not really an MPlayer
issue.

> So I'll ask, is it possible to direct MPlayer to play a title or
> titles by title-number, from a hd directory - rather than only being
> able to specify the single VOB file ?

The normal answer is '-dvd-device', but apparently this isn't working in
your case. I have no idea why it would fail to work. Unless someone else
pipes up, you may be out of luck.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.