[MPlayer-users] MLP Support now in libavcodec... possibility of better integration w/ mplayer?

Robert McNamara iamlindoro at aol.com
Fri Jul 18 19:04:40 CEST 2008

Hi all,
Last week MLP/TrueHD decoder support was merged into ffmpeg proper.  This is
great news for owners of HD-DVD and Blu-ray disks, as it is the audio format
of choice for many HD Films.  As of SVN revision 27327, I am able to get MLP
tracks working in the following fashion:

1) Add the following to ~/.mplayer/codecs.conf

     audiocodec mlp
       info "FFMpeg mlp"
       status buggy
       format 0x20504C4D
       driver ffmpeg
       dll "mlp"

2) Invoke mplayer with the following command line:

     mplayer -demuxer lavf -ac mlp -aid 4 300.EVO

So, the question is, What can be done to make MLP support a bit more
integrated (ie not needing to specify the demuxer and audio track #)?  I
expect that it's probably a matter of adding auto-detection for the codec,
and probably some work on the demuxer to determine the default audio track.
 I just thought I would throw this out there for discussion and see if it's
anything that would be a very simple matter, or if any dev was interested in
looking at it.

I have uploaded a 15 MB sample to the FTP site, as 300-MLP-Test.EVO.

Thanks so much,

Robert McNamara