[MPlayer-users] Make the video window frameless

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Jul 22 21:53:52 CEST 2008

Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:

> Hi Reimar Döffinger!
>
> On 2008.07.22 at 19:16:14 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote next:
>
>>> Find out how to tell your window manager to not add decorations
>>> to the window. This is specific to the window manager, and is not
>>> an MPlayer issue.
>
> Obviously it's not true. While it's easy in some WMs (e.g. in
> windowmaker you only need a few clicks to create permanent noborder
> configuration for mplayer), it's hard to do this in others, like
> metacity. You don't rely on wm/user interaction for such feature;
> instead, you should rely on wm/application interaction. Mplayer
> should set correct hints for making borderless windows (like xmms or
> audacious do) and hope that wm cares about these hints. Mostly they
> do (I don't think you can have borderless window in twm or
> something).

It's still a window-manager issue, since the window manager is what is
actually adding those decorations.

I'd forgotten about the "WM hints" aspect, but I'm not sure how far that
really goes...

>> Well, before that it would make sense to at least try -noborder
>> before ;-)
>
> Doesn't work (at least in metacity). And what's with that "Supported
> by the directx video output driver" in man page?

Doesn't work for me in Enlightenment, either. I can, however,
right-click on the title bar and modify the border style from the usual
submenu... and while I don't know for certain, I suspect that the
"remember border style for this window" WM option would work just as
well as the "remember window position for this window" WM option,
however well that may be under any given version.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.