[MPlayer-users] Any way to get Xv playback without tearing on fglrx?

Wed Jul 23 09:28:46 CEST 2008

Hi Reimar Döffinger!

 On 2008.07.23 at 07:06:57 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote next:

> > 4) use -vo gl:yuv=2:swapinterval=1:force-pbo:ati-hack
>
> Just a short note: for me, using vo gl with latest ATI always results
> in a completely garbled screen after switching back from fullscreen.
> I do not have any special options in the xorg config btw., but I will
> try some of yours.

For me, too (with 8.7 and 8.6, used to work with 8.5). No, these options
won't help. I tried a few other, but wasn't able to solve that.

Can you tell me though if the bug was present on 8.5 on your system? If
it was, maybe it can be solved. Because starting with 8.6, I'm using
different method of installing driver. Now GL applications load directly
libGL from fglrx. Earlier they used to load libGL from Mesa (I don't
actually understand how it worked, maybe some kind of proxy mode in
mesa, but DRI was working and vendor was "ATI"). There were a few
downsides (e.g.  compiz wasn't working), but no garbled screen bug.

> I do have a HD4850 though (I still intend to do some GPU computing on
> it, but after it now good completely evident that ATI drivers are as
> horrible as ever I have some doubts if I actually would _want_ to leave
> any calculations to it...)

Do you actually need to have fglrx driver for using calculations api?
Developers promise that accelerated 2D and 3D on HD3xxx/HD4xxx cards
with open source drivers is near (a few months or so).

--

Vladimir