[MPlayer-users] Mplayer and TV card use

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 17:39:28 CEST 2008

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 03:48:39 -0700 (PDT)
Muppet Man <muppetman4662 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if there is a better guide for using mplayer with a TV
> tuning card.  Maybe it's my newness to linux, but the guide that is
> posted on website is very vague.

First, what kind of card do you have?  A simple raw YUV card?  A DVB-T
card?  An analog MPEG-encoder?

Second, is your card set-up and working?  ie. Can you watch TV with
other apps like tvtime?  If not, it's a basic Linux question, having
nothing to do with MPlayer.  Find a Video4Linux how-to.

Once that's working, it should be simple to use MPlayer, depending on
the type of card. eg.:

mplayer tv:// -tv chanlist=us-cable:channel=(channel)
mplayer dvb://(channel)
mplayer /dev/video0
mplayer pvr://

etc.