[MPlayer-users] Trying to compile for different CPU.

casty at centolos.com casty at centolos.com
Mon Jun 2 23:19:37 CEST 2008

> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM, <casty at centolos.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have an small console linux distro running with pxe, and I'm trying to
>> build an mplayer for it. The machine is a pentium-mmx and I'm using
>> mplayer-1.0rc2.
>>
>> I'm trying to cross-build it from a core 2 duo.
>>

> --disable-mmxext --disable-3dnow --disable-3dnowext --disable-sse
> --disable-sse2 --disable-ssse3

What about cmov?

>> These are my configure options:
>>
>> --enable-directfb --enable-fbdev (vbe.h was not included and I couldn't
>> use vesa)
>>

> You probably could leave the above out. Your configure script should
> autodetect those options, if you have
> the proper files installed.  Use ./configure --help | less to see what's
> autodetected and what is not.
> It should show the default settings that configure will use. I only use
> --enable-xxx , if a default setting
> is set to off.

Remember that I'm cross-compiling so, autodetection is not very usefull
here, is it? fbdev is not configured by default.

>> --target=pentium --enable-mmx (Is this how I have to ask for a pentium
>> build?)
>

> You probably could leave the above out, also. After you disable all the
> above CPU settings, the only thing
> left is mmx. That should be left in automatically by the configure script.

AFAIK, i686 optimization is not only about extensions. A 686 optimized
code can run slower in a 586 architecture.

>> --disable-dvdnav --disable-dvdread (I had several problems with those
>> 3...
>

> --disable-dvdnav
>
> I wouldn't use --disable-dvdread. You need it. Internal dvdread should be
> detected.
> I don't know why you want to disable dvdread unless you don't want to use
> DVD's.
> Having it enabled, shouldn't pose a problem.
>

>> --disable-dvdread-internal         ...although I edited netinet/in.h
>> file
>

> When you start editing header files, you're asking for problems.

This issue is treated here.
http://www.mjmwired.net/linux/2008/05/11/mplayer-compile-on-redhat-80/
It is the only way I know to get mplayer to be compiled in my redhat 9 :(

Anyway I don't need DVD read. Just to read video files through NFS.

>> --disable-vstream                  ...to avoid them (see 1))
>>
>> --enable-static (my distro lacked a lot of libs)
>> --disable-xv --diable-gl     (but all those libs had problems with...
>> --disable-fontconfig --disable-sdl  ...static linking)
>>

> I would leave all the above out of  the configure statement and just leave
> --enable static

but as I said in the comments. Those libs (xv,gl,fontconfig,sdl) report
undefined references when I use --enable-static

>> --disable-sse --disable-cmov (I don't understand why do I need this as I
>> claimed for a pentium build, but they was still marked on config.mak)
>>

> I would leave those two out, also

You just sugested me at least --disable-sse on your first comment :)

>> Finally it compiled but crashed
>

> I wouldn't doubt that. Again, I wouldn't mess with header files. Stick to
> the
> options on the configure script, unless you really know what you're doing.

Thanks for your comments. I'll try those combinations later. Now, I have
installed an standalone redhat in the target machine and I'm trying to
compile from there. The problem it that each re-build in this machine
takes about one day or so. I'm now trying there with RC1 and
--enable-static and --enable-vesa (as the script did not detected it).