[MPlayer-users] Using mplayer with NX

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Tue Jun 3 14:03:27 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 07:45 -0400, Paul wrote:
> John said:
>
>             user                                   mplayer
>               |                                        |
> CAM______physical desktop-----------------------virtual desktop
>              |                                          |
>              |                                          |
>           NXClient----------SMB share----------------NXServer
>
> The webcam needs to be activated and de-activated by the application (e.g.,
> mplayer) on the virtual desktop
>
> Why use mplayer for this? Use skype if you want to see a camera from remote.
> Then log into the client and startup a video session.
>
> mplayer can send streams but (and someone correct me if I am wrong), mplayer
> is not designed to be a remote media controller. Mplayer is a media receiver
> and encoder.
>
> mplayer can receive many streams which are being streamed. It can be turned
> on an off but the remote client control thing is beyond mplayer's core
> functionality as I know it.
>

> Paul Yurt www.mastermoz.com
> Make the Internet Work for You! MasterMOZ
<snip>
Alas, mplayer is one of only several applications which will need this
functionality.  For example, they might use Skype but we have the same
problem.  Skype will be running on the virtual desktop but the web cam
and user are on the physical desktop.  Just like mplayer, Skype would
need to control and receive input from the remote device.  I'm not usre
that's possible but it would be a major coup if we could find some way
to do it.  Thanks - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation