[MPlayer-users] really need help: memory leak with ALSA audio input

Dan Taylor dtaylor at startrac.com
Fri Jun 6 04:53:47 CEST 2008

I have two cards, one based on the cx88 and another based on the saa7135
(saa7134 driver), and both leak memory badly when running mplayer to
watch analog TV, but only when using the ALSA input.  They will consume
all available memory, then start dropping all video frames.

I'm using 2.6.26-rc4 and MPlayer-1.0rc2, although the problem predates
both of these releases.

I've tried to simplify the path by using -ao null and -vo null, but it
doesn't change the symptom.  It does remove the resampling filter from
the audio path since null output device accepts any input.  BTW, the
cards use different audio parameters (in the config lines below), and
use a different format: cx88 is u16le and the saa7134 is s16le.

I need to know where to look to find this problem.

[gcx88]
tv=driver=v4l2:chanlist=us-cable:norm=NTSC-M:alsa=1:adevice=hw.1,0:immed
iatemode=0:audiorate=48000:forceaudio=1:outfmt=yuy2

[gsaa]
tv=driver=v4l2:chanlist=us-cable:norm=NTSC:alsa=1:adevice=hw.1,0:immedia
temode=0:audiorate=32000:forceaudio=1:outfmt=yuy2