[MPlayer-users] OT Re: Using mplayer with NX

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Tue Jun 10 02:39:24 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 17:18 -0700, RC wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 16:56:51 -0400
> "John A. Sullivan III" <jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com> wrote:
>
> > I also realize a solution is only trivial when it meets the client's
> > needs.
>
> Fair enough, but I don't see the logic.  It's rather arbitrary to forbid
> running a video program on the thin-client, while at the same time
> having much more-advanced software running to support the hardware, NX,
> and applications to forward data back and forth between them.
>
> > So far, the world has told this client they cannot do what they want
> > to do and they will need to bend their business to the limitations of
> > existing technology.
>
> I never said there was anything impossible about it.  A quick search for
> ioctl(s) on freshmeat finds a couple programs (mostly for audio) that
> can forward ioctls over a network.  "afwd" seems most appropos.  Besides
> something like that running on the client, all you need is a fast enough
> network, which you don't mind ridiculously burdening with this nonsense.
<snip>
Thanks very much for the afwd lead.  I will definitely pursue it.  The
ugly thing about this installation is the video-conferencing application
is tightly integrated with their productivity and messaging software.
It will have to run where their office apps and email run.  That's the
problem.  Thanks again - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation