[MPlayer-users] Timecode

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Jun 11 18:46:57 CEST 2008

Hello,
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:55:45PM +0100, Phil Rhodes wrote:
> Is there any way of reading (in mplayer) or setting (in mencoder) timecode
> in AVI files? The type of timecode I'm referring to is stored usually toward
> the end of the file as ASCII characters shortly after a sequence reading, in
> ASCII, Tdattc_0. It is often referred to as Premiere timecode because it's
> used by Adobe Premiere. Presumably Tdat and tc_0 are IDs within the AVI file
> structure but I'm not very sure about the low level technical stuff.
>
> I have written windows script files to recover this information; it's pretty
> easy to find, but needless to say the windows script host procedures for
> reading files aren't much good on AVIs over a few megs in length. It would
> be enormously useful to be able to read this information in mplayer.

Well, after MPlayer has read that information, what is it supposed to do
with it? MPlayer is not the right place to add this kind of thing if
e.g. dumping it to a file is all you want to do.
Depending how it is integrated or not into the AVI format, either FFmpeg
or a standalone tool would be the saner choice (at least from an
engineering standpoint).

> What would I have to pay someone to implement this? I can provide example
> files.

Well, even if someone is interested in doing this, without knowing
anything at all it is hard to guess how much effort it would be, so a
sample file would be useful anyway.
Apart from that, since you managed to mostly get along with WSH, you
might be able to do it yourself in Python or a shell script combining
tail/sed/grep or whatever...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger