[MPlayer-users] How to torify Mplayer's Proxy Variable

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sun Jun 15 20:58:26 CEST 2008

On 15 Jun 2008, at 11:00, Krzysztof Duchnowski wrote:
> f-ighting.erich at arcor.de pisze:
>
>> To see Euro 2008 games you need a German
>> IP, hence with mplayer no problem??
>> Well, if you torify or start mplayer
>> with mplayer -playlist http_proxy://127.0.0.1:8118/http://
>> wgeostreaming.zdf.de/encoder/livestream15_h.asx
>> least I run into a problem,
>> that mplayer all but resolves the "playlist"
>> file via tor or the proxy and then goes after
>> the real streaming-URL within stright forward
>> causing the geostream shield to cut off the
>> connection (bad ip).

Hi Eric,

Sorry this didn't occur to me sooner, but have you tried setting the
http proxy in other ways.

EG:
   HTTP_PROXY=http://your.proxy:80
   export HTTP_PROXY
is suggested by <http://mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net/faq.php>

I think you should also be able to set the http proxy in the conf
file (in the .mplayer directory?) in your home directory, but I can
immediately see the syntax. It's probably quite obvious when you
experiment, but I don't have a suitable box handy on which to compare
the existing entries.

> Since when users local computer outside Germany are german proxies?

Hi Krzysztof,

I am intrigued as to how you have determined what is happening on
port 8118 of Eric's machine.
Can you elaborate as to how you do so, please?

I had assumed that http_proxy://127.0.0.1:8118 was located in Eric's
New York apartment but that it maintained an ssh tunnel to Schloss
Eric in Bavaria.

I had naively assumed that the problem could be resolved as Eric
described - if mplayer could be convinced, having downloaded the
playlist from the proxy, to also download the playlist entries from
it, too. You will surely enlighten me from my misconceptions.

Stroller.