[MPlayer-users] No audio, without error message, when playing MPEG4

Olle Ahnlund y97olle at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 16 16:29:15 CEST 2008

When I try to play a H.264-stream with MPEG4-sound I get this messsage:

Initiated "audio/MPEG4-GENERIC" RTP subsession on port 5432
Initiated "video/H264" RTP subsession on port 5434
demux_rtp: Guessed the video frame rate as 30 frames-per-second.
        (If this is wrong, use the "-fps <frame-rate>" option instead.)
VIDEO:  [H264]  0x0  0bpp  30.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
Audio: no sound

That is, the video is playing, without sound, and without any error message explaining why.
This has worked before (Since I upgraded Slackware from 11.0 -> 12.1, I had to reinstall mplayer).
I use the latest SVN version of the sources.

The output from ./configure says
Checking for FAAC (AAC encoder) support ... no (in libavcodec: no),
could this have something to do with the no sound issue?
(If I try to force FAAC, the compilation or install will not go through)
Or, do you suggest any specific playback configuration (that I did not need to use before)?

Thankful for answers.

By the way, streams with AC3-sounds work fine.