[MPlayer-users] Perfect recipe for B&W Classics

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Jun 18 18:33:19 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 04:45:10PM -0700, CD Baric wrote:
> I know my results tried over the years are not that great even at very
> high bit-rates compared to other rippers (Windows). This is in
> contrast to the truly excellent results I have had with colour rips
> (thanks guys).

Just add -vf format=y8,scale to those colour rips and you have encoded
a B&W film. Unless someone broke the encoder very severely they will be
no worse than the colour ones. So we can then conclude, that if you have
a problem with some films, it is not because they are B&W. It might be
that those films e.g. contain much more noise and were filmed with a
far more shaky camera, in which case you might try some denoising but in
general will always need a far higher bitrate.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger