[MPlayer-users] Is libmad really needed???

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Thu Jun 19 18:16:59 CEST 2008

On Thursday, 19 June 2008 at 17:39, Pedro A. Aranda wrote:
> Lately I have observed, that libmad is requested and I get a lot
> of messages like:
>
> Forced audio codec: mad
> Requested audio codec family [mad] (afm=libmad) not available.
> Enable it at compilation.
> Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
>
> My question is: if mplayer is going to mp3lib when it sees that
> I don't have libmad (BTW libmad hasn't beed modified since 2004,
> hmmmm..), why do I have to receive this annoying message?

Since you haven't said anything about where your MPlayer binary came from
nor provided the full output as outlined in the bugreporting guidelines,
I'm guessing your package maintainer has configured MPlayer to try and use
libmad before any other codec (Ubuntu, right?).

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu | Livna http://rpm.livna.org