[MPlayer-users] Usnatch 1.38 released

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Jun 19 21:56:55 CEST 2008

Szabolcs Nagy wrote:

> On 6/19/08, aw585 at lafn.org <aw585 at lafn.org> wrote:
>
>> Minor changes to allow coping with nationalized YouTube URLs such
>> as nl.youtube.com.... and uk.youtube.com....
>
> to dl youtube links i use
>
> #!/bin/sh
> URL=`echo $1 |sed 's|/v/|/watch?v=|'`
> FN=`echo $URL |sed 's|&.*||;s|-|_|g'|tail -c12`'.flv'
> wget -O $FN `wget $URL -O - |grep -m 1 'var swfArgs'|sed
> 's|.*{"|youtube.com/get_video?|;s|": "*|=|g;s|"*, "|\&|g;s|"}.*||'`

I just use youtube-dl, which has the advantage that whenever YouTube
change their page format or their URL scheme Somebody Other Than Me will
take care of updating it to correct that.

> (bit ugly, but it works for the /v/ type of embedded video urls as
> well) and to play directly:

youtube-dl won't work for playing directly AFAIK, but IMO that's not a
problem, because playing streamed video when you could save a copy first
(most likely a temporary one) is somewhere between pointless and a bad
idea anyway.

I am, of course, aware that others do not share this opinion.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.