[MPlayer-users] Next rc or 1.0 anyone

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Jun 28 11:53:47 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 10:00:06AM +0200, Heinz Wiesinger wrote:
> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > On Thursday, 26 June 2008 at 21:20, Jerry Geis wrote:
> > > Is it not time for wrapping up a 1.0 release?
> > >
> > > 1.0 pre 1 was 2 years ago...
> > >
> > >  MPlayer-1.0pre1.tar.bz2
> > > <http://www3.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/MPlayer-1.0pre1.tar.bz2>
> > >       16-Feb-2006 05:34   4.0M
> > >
> > > rc2 was was 1 year ago
> > >
> > > MPlayer-1.0rc2.tar.bz2
> > > <http://www3.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/MPlayer-1.0rc2.tar.bz2>
> > >       07-Oct-2007 16:29   8.9M
> > >
> > > Joking: it should at least be time for a rc3
> > >
> > > I am not slamming any one or flaming or anything....
> > > Just curious as when actual 1.0 might come to life.
> >
> > It'll be ready when it's ready.
> >
> > You're welcome to become our release manager. I'm serious.
> >

> What exactly would you want a release manager to do?
> I had a quick look at wikipedia, so I have a rough overview of things a
> release manager could do, but I have no clear picture of what would be
> appropriate for mplayer.

IMO: making a release tarball, getting some people to do binary
builds/packages (it might be a good idea to latch onto the "releases"
gentoo does), get some people to test it, especially compilation on
diverse hardware and OS and if there are no obvious problems release it
"officially" - if there are issues decide how important they are and bug
someone to fix them.
In addition, a real release manager should also create updated tarballs
after security issues. Getting people to update the "official" builds
would be advisable as well, in the current state I can't help but think
it would be better if we did not offer any builds at all ourselves.
These are all things that are currently not done by anyone (Roberto has
been doing a lot of it, but he is too busy otherwise).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger