[MPlayer-users] Next rc or 1.0 anyone

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Jun 30 00:03:40 CEST 2008

Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 11:50:02AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> * After a week or three like this, make a source tarball of the
>> current most-recent SVN revision and pass that out to the people
>> who build the 'official' binaries.
>>
>> * Put up the tarball and the binaries, and announce the release on
>> the Website.
>
> In between you miss: all developers taking part in the release
> process meet on IRC, download the tarball and test compilation and
> basic functions on all machines available to them (usually about 10 I
> guess - thanks to many SVN users rarely something went wrong, the
> exception being one HP-UX machine I no longer have access to).

Given that I've been in the MPlayer development IRC channel a grand
total of twice that I recall, it's not surprising that I missed this.

How broad a group, as a cross-section of the developer body, did
"developers taking part in the release process" tend to be? I had the
impression that it was usually limited to Diego and whoever else was
helping scour for Changelog updates, and that everyone else mostly
contributed only by refraining from committing potentially risky things.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.