[MPlayer-users] Getting rid of banding/blocking artifacts in dark areas

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 13:47:17 CET 2008

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 10:16:01 +0100
Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:

> Uh, not this is mostly due to TVs being really crappy and blurrying
> everything very heavily. -vf hqdn3d might be able to simulate
> something similar, but in my experience truly bad quality videos only
> look good on TVs (and CRT monitors are not really better than LCD
> monitors).

I've seen both extremes...  Some people certainly like to set their TVs
to very low sharpness and contrast, which sufficiently blurs the
picture.  However, there are also people who set the sharpness,
saturation and contrast very high, which makes even the best quality
DVDs look horribly blocky on their TV sets.