[MPlayer-users] A question about patented codecs

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Wed Mar 5 05:59:44 CET 2008

Jing Min Zhao wrote:
> JD,
>
> Take it easy. I don't understand why you're so upset. Did I say something
> impolite? Or my idea of benefiting from open source software makes you
> uncomfortable? I think I have shown enough respect to you.
>
> Please remember what I said has NOT happened yet, and I have NOT decided to
> do that yet, and for sure I will write to Real to confirm this before I do
> anything. I don't want to make illegal money either! I come here just to see
> if anybody has similar idea or expperience to share. Is this illegal, Mr.
> Lawyer?

Well, to offer a real life example, I bought a DXG video camera.  The
instruction book has a clear section on how to download and install a
windows-compatible codec.  I guess they don't want to pay the royalties
either.

So you're in good company; I would guess many smaller companies are
going to start doing that.

Don't sweat it.  Explain to your customers *why* it is necessary.

--Yan