[MPlayer-users] help! mplayer crashes linux

Brian Mueller neutrino78x at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 06:13:12 CET 2008

guys:

ok! well, upgrading to "MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.1.1"  seemed to fix the problem with the screen blanking and the system becoming unresponsive! Still I get the "your system is too slow" message, but using -framedrop seems to help with that. I have a Pentium 4, 2 Ghz, under Windows it is able to play 720p, not perfectly but a little smoother (although where mplayer drops frames, windows media player would temporarily freeze video, so in that sense mplayer does a better job). But you know, the main problem is my graphics card, not really a card but integrated graphics (intel 845g chipset). I can't put a new card in because i have a slim form factor case. I do have a free AGP slot but it can't be used because of the case issue. At some point I will start building a new PC, I just have budget problems right now. :-( but upgrading to the latest version of mplayer and adding the framedrop option helped a lot, at least the files are viewable, the whole thing plays
 through without crashing, a major improvement! :-)

I compiled the latest release version from source, and put it in a different directory than where the old one was, so it might help if I downloaded the codec package again and put that in the new tree. :) but this is a good start. :)

thanks for your help guys. :)

--Brian