[MPlayer-users] h264 video for iPod / iTunes?

Allen Fowler allen.fowler at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 19 00:27:07 CET 2008

> And over the weekend a patch went into libavformat to create a new format of
> 'ipod' which
> will insert the necessary extra stuff to make h.264 video play on iPods,
> removing the need
> to run mencoder h.264 mp4 files through nicMP4Box.exe.
>
> I should add this to the man page...

Wow. Excellent.

What do I need to know to convert from a MediaCoder work flow to straight MEncoder?  In MediaCoder, I've been using the iPod AVC/ACC "Defaults", with the video bitrate simply adjusted way  down.  (45kbps)

Is there an MEncoder audio/video encoding "cheat sheet" for iPods?

FWIW, I'm developing a (yet another) Python-based media encoding front-end for internal use, but after wrapping a wxPython GUI around it, I may consider openly releasing it. (I could not find any other simple frontend that focused on consolidating existing media files, fixing the metadata and encoding as iPod h264....)

Thanks,
:)