[MPlayer-users] BUG: cache option breaks some commands in slave mode

Robert Henney robh at rut.org
Thu Mar 20 15:56:24 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 09:48:25AM +0100, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 March 2008 20:57:23 Halim Sahin wrote:
> > On Mi, M?r 19, 2008 at 05:02:12 +0100, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> > > dvd chapters can't work with the cache
> >
> > Why not?
>
> because using the cache forces mplayer to fork; the stream reader
> and the demuxer will end up in different processes with no
> stream_t and demuxer_t structures shared, so every call to STREAM_CTRL
> will fail

what has bugged me about this explanation is that seeks that supposedly
can't work because of how the cache routines fork did work for earlier
versions of mplayer.  for example, -ss on dvds used to be very accurate
with cache enabled, but somewhere after r21824 it became wildly
inaccurate except for when disabling the cache.

it's always seemed like a regression to me.