[MPlayer-users] MPlayer crashed by an illegal instruction

Sid Kapoor sidkapoor2000 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 15:36:10 CET 2008

Hi,

I compiled MPlayer-1.0rc1 on Linux From Scratch (LFS), with the following
configure command :

 ./configure --enable-gui --disable-mencoder --disable-libcdio
--disable-liblzo --disable-qtx --disable-xanim --disable-real --disable-xvid
--disable-x264 --disable-nut --disable-libfame --disable-tremor-internal
--disable-tremor-external --disable-speex --disable-faad-external
--disable-faad-internal --disable-faac --disable-ladspa --disable-libdv
--disable-mad --disable-toolame --disable-twolame --disable-mp3lib
--disable-liba52 --disable-libdts --disable-libmpeg2 --disable-musepack
--disable-amr_nb --disable-amr_nb-fixed --disable-amr_wb --prefix=/usr

It compiled correctly on the LFS machine, and I was able to run the binaries
'mplayer' and 'gmplayer' properly on LFS as well as other Fedora distros.

But when I tried running the binaries on a thin client machine (AMD Geode
Integrated Processor), it crashed. I am running my customized linux distro
on the thin client machine.
mplayer crashed with the following messages :

MPlayer 1.0rc1-4.0.3 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team

CPU: Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by AMD PCS (Family: 5, Model: 10,
Stepping: 2)

CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0

Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2

Terminal type `xterm' is not defined.

Playing /usr/Hydrate-Kenny_Beltrey.ogg.

MPEG-ES file format detected.

3DNow supported but disabled

3DNowExt supported but disabled

MPlayer interrupted by signal 4 in module: video_read_properties

- MPlayer crashed by an 'Illegal Instruction'.

It usually happens when you run it on a CPU different than the one it was

compiled/optimized for.

Verify this!

- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.

Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and

disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.

- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.

It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your

gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read

DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and

won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible
bug.

Can anyone suggest what went wrong in my distro?

Thanks,

Siddharth Kapoor