[MPlayer-users] AC3 via optical out on Mac Mini (Intel), 10.5?

Mike Z zimcomm at hotmail.com
Fri May 2 03:11:07 CEST 2008

I've done a bunch of searching (including thru the archives here) and can't find a definitive answer.

I'm wondering if mplayer can output 5.1 channel Dolby Digital over the optical audio out on my Mac Mini.  I have it working with another un-named vmedia player :) on the same file on the same system.  Just can't figure out how to convince mplayer to do the same.  Some other posts seem to imply it might be possible, but I have not been able to replicate that result.

With mplayer I have tried

-ac hwac3  (I get pulsing static)
-channels 6
-ao macosx
-ao pcm

and several others in various combinations.  But the only 2 sounds I've been able to get are

- downmixed to 2 ch audio
- the pulsing static

I compile the latest source with

./configure --disable-x11

Dunno if there are other libraries I need, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions.