[MPlayer-users] MPlayer not loading correct font

Sat May 3 18:02:50 CEST 2008

Hi Evgeniy Stepanov!

 On 2008.05.03 at 14:21:49 +0400, Evgeniy Stepanov wrote next:

> I've added some extra debug prints, try with the latest svn and -v option.
>
> For (Arial Narrow, 200, 0) the corresponding fc-match line would be:
> fc-match ":family=Arial Narrow:family=Arial:weight=200:slant=0:outline=1".

It returns
arialnb.ttf: "Arial Narrow" "Narrow"

mplayer prints
[ass] fontconfig: Выбранный шрифт не совпадает с запрошенным: 'Arial' != 'Arial Narrow'
[ass] Font info: family 'Arial', style 'Narrow', fullname '(null)', slant 0, weight 200
fontconfig_select: (Arial Narrow, 200, 0) -> /usr/share/fonts/default/TrueType/arialnb.ttf, 0

Now that I look at it, it probably IS arial narrow. It's just that arial
narrow bold isn't very "narrow" and looks closer to arial regular than
to arial narrow, so to say (and it's even harder to spot the difference
in vertical writing).

So everything is probably OK, but
1) are you sure bold version was meant to be used?
2) is specifying bold font by weight is as reliable as specifying it by
   style (considering subtitle engines other than libass)?
3) then, what was that warning about? Looks kinda misleading, too - like
   fontconfig is choosing arial instead of arial narrow. And according
   to fc-match the name of arialnb.ttf is "Arial Narrow", not "Arial".

May I suggest the following logic - print warning only if
"requested name" != "resulting name" &&
"requested name" != "resulting name(space)resulting style"
and in that case, print not "resulting name" in warning, but
"resulting name(space)resulting style"

--

Vladimir