[MPlayer-users] Cannot use pchdtvr with ubuntu 8.4 with mplayer, though xine works

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon May 12 02:27:30 CEST 2008

C W wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I installed the latest version of ubuntu, 8.4 (Hardy Heron), did a
> sudo apt-get of mplayer, which got me  1.0rc2-4.2.3.

Third-party packages of MPlayer/MEncoder are not supported on these
mailing lists; questions about such packaged versions should go to the
people who packaged them.

Also, 1.0rc2 (which is the latest official release) is getting old
enough that it is increasingly unlikely to be supported here in any
case. Particularly given the number of changes and potential
improvements made in the meantime, you may want to compile the latest
version from SVN; you will almost certainly need to compile such a
version in order to get help here.

> I have a pchdtv-3000 dvb card installed.  I can watch live broadcasts
> with xine.  But, when I try to use mplayer, I have problems.  In one
> window I'll run 'azap -r <some channel from channels.conf>', and it
> is reporting:
>
> status 1f | signal cc14 | snr 1be6 | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 | FE_HAS_LOCK
>
> over and over again, and I then try mplayer I get:
>
> MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.2.3 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team

As noted above, this version is somewhat old; you might want to try with
the latest version from SVN.

I also note that you did not provide the MPlayer command line you used;
in this case it can be guessed at from the MEncoder command line which
you did provide, but it is recommended (and frequently required) to
include it anyway.

> MEncoder 2:1.0~rc2-0ubuntu13+medibuntu1 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team

This version of MEncoder does not match the above version of MPlayer.
Unless the person who put together the packages you installed was in
some respects incompetent, you may have more than one version of one or
the other installed. If you do not have good reason for this, you should
probably uninstall all but one (matching) version of each.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.