[MPlayer-users] Illegal instruction crashes (SVN revs 26753 and 25993)

Tobias Jakobi liquid.acid at gmx.net
Sun May 18 12:00:44 CEST 2008

Hi Reimar,

the thing is that at least for me the problem doesn't originate from
using distcc. I haven't even installed distcc on the machine where this
happens.

Also it tells me (mplayer -v):
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE SSE2

I was not compiling this with SSE and SSE2! I know the tbird doesn't
support these instruction sets. I only have enabled both mmx and 3dnow
instr sets in my USE flags.

If I don't enabled custom-cflags on this box the makefile seems to pass
these optimization options to gcc:
-O4 -march=i486 -mtune=i686 -pipe -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer

Resulting in the use of SSE instr.

With custom-cflags:
-O2 -march=athlon-tbird -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer
Producing a working build.

Is this the mplayer Makefile or the gentoo ebuild?

Greets,
Tobias Jakobi