[MPlayer-users] no sound when trying to select aid

Nico Sabbi Nicola.Sabbi at poste.it
Sat May 31 12:39:29 CEST 2008

Il Saturday 31 May 2008 05:37:16 Steven A. DuChene ha scritto:
> I am using MPlayer 1.0rc2

old, svn update

> on OpenSuSE 10.2 on an x86_64 system
> and I am attempting to choose an audio stream different than the default
> in a VOB file I have. The default audio stream if I do NOT try to specify
> a particular aid stream plays fine but it has the directors commentary
> in it. I.E. when I do the following:
>
> mplayer VTS_051.VOB
>
> the video pops up and I hear audio just fine but it is not the audio stream
> I would like to hear.

play # to change audio track

> If I try any of the following:
>
> mplayer -aid 0xBD VTS_05_1.VOB
> mplayer -aid 1 VTS_05_1.VOB
> mplayer -aid 0xBF VTS_05_1.VOB

due to an historical misdesign the IDs of audio tracks
don't work that way when playing mpeg files: they are
mapped in a completely unintuitive manner, so:

-aid 128..135 (not 0xbd) are ac3 tracks
-aid 136..143 are dts tracks
0xBF streams are private2 streams that carry PCI/DSI data when playing DVDs

> It says it is not going to play sound:
>
> however I still get the video stream part of the file popping up on the screen
> but with no sound.
>
> Is there something I am doing wrong in specifying the aid stream I want?
>
> BTW I used something called bbdmux to list the available streams within the file
> and I got the follwoing:
>
> bbDMUX - version 1.7, by Brent Beyeler (beyeler at home.com)
>   speed increases by, Apachez and Christian Vogelgsang
>
> Scanning for stream id's, press control-c to quit ...
>
> File /home/sad/youngfrank/VTS_05_1.VOB is an MPEG-2 Program Stream
>
> Found stream id 0xBF  = Private Stream 2
> Found stream id 0xE0  = Video Stream 0
> Found stream id 0xBD  = Private Stream 1
> Found stream id 0xBE  = Padding Stream
>

> any suggestions are most welcome.
> --

read above or use -demuxer lavf