[MPlayer-users] Using mplayer with NX

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Sat May 31 18:19:10 CEST 2008

Hello, all.  We are attempting to use mplayer with NoMachine's NX
product.  Video output is wonderfully fine but video input is proving
problematic.  For example, we would like to be able to use mplayer to
view on the virtual desktop the webcam attached to the physical desktop.
The webcam needs to be activated and de-activated by the application
(e.g., mplayer) on the virtual desktop.  How does one do this?

We want to be able to work within the NX data stream so we are reluctant
to use ssh or netcat and are not even sure that would give us the
control we want.

I did notice I could make a symbolic link to /dev/video0 and run mplayer
against the symbolic link.  Thus, I tried to share that symbolic link as
an SMB share (NX supports smb shares natively).  However, when I try to
use the web cam on the physical desktop from mplayer on the virtual
desktop, the web cam light blinks a few times but I then get:

jsullivan at denisedell:~$ mplayer -fps 15 tv:// -tv
driver=v4l2:width=640:height=480:device=/home/jsullivan/MyShares/NXSHARES/video0
MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.2.3 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (Family: 15, Model: 3, Stepping:
4)
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
control.

Playing tv://.
TV file format detected.
Selected driver: v4l2
 name: Video 4 Linux 2 input
 author: Martin Olschewski <olschewski at zpr.uni-koeln.de>
 comment: first try, more to come ;-)
v4l2: ioctl query capabilities failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
v4l2: ioctl set mute failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
v4l2: 0 frames successfully processed, 0 frames dropped.

Exiting... (End of file)

This is a high priority, urgent project for us so any help would be
greatly appreciated.  Thanks - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation