[MPlayer-users] Where can I find these libraries?

Пламен Петров pvp-lsts at fs.ru.acad.bg
Wed Nov 12 09:42:09 CET 2008

Stroller написа:
> On 12 Nov 2008, at 03:16, bravo 007 wrote:
>
>> Hello, i'm newbie in linux and mplayer. I try to install mplayer ( i use
>> mplayer-1.0rc2-i686-3szl),
>
> Where did you obtain this package from?
>
> The supported method to install mplayer is via Subversion. See
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html
>
>> and i ran "ldd mplayer" and it was said I don't have libcaca.so.0 and
>> libcucul.so.0. I searched in google still didin't find these libraries. I
>> am using Backtrack 3 (based on slackware 12.0). For libaca, I have
>> downloaded from http://caca.zoy.org/files/libcaca/libcaca-0.9.tar.gz . But
>> didn't find libcaca.so.0.
>
> What does your package manager says about libcaca & libcucul?
>
> Do you actually have a problem with mplayer playback?
>
> AFAICT these libraries are only used for playback as ASCII art.
>
> EG: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Caca-doom2.png
> http://caca.zoy.org/browser/web/trunk/static/img/stitch-80x45.png
>
> The author of libcaca states "I am perfectly aware that libcaca is the waste
> of time it looks to be." I think there is a hidden message here.
>
> Stroller.

Hello!

Stroller, good job pointing bravo 007 in the right direction.

BUT given the fact that BackTrack is a Live CD (see [1]),
and bravo 007 is asking on how to make mplayer work on it...
All I can say is : good luck!

Please, bravo 007, feel free to humour me,
but if you do so - tell us how you made mplayer run on BackTrack 3.

Anyway, what do you need mplayer for on a
"linux live distribution focused on penetration testing"?
Why not use a not-so-special-case distribution instead?

Regards,
[1] http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack.html
--
Plamen Petrov, network & system administrator
Filial - Silistra